Our Design & Build Process
Some years ago we teamed up with Architects and Space Planners in the form of Burtt-Jones Brewer. Our first experience of working together was for the Scandinavian Bank, SEB which features in our case studies.
Between the two organisations we considered that we had the opportunity to provide an end to end service as we held all of the requisite skills and services for a design a build process between us.
Within Incentive Workspace, we have the management, cost control and project coordination skills to compliment the design skills of Burtt-Jones Brewer. Though our sister technical services companies under the Incentive TEC banner, we have Mechanical, Electrical and Air Conditioning design, installation testing and maintenance services to hand.
Our first consideration was to be both open and different to the competition. This didn’t seem to us to be the greatest obstacle given the rather stayed approach of customers, surveyors and fit out contractors…. Our plan was to be able to partner with our clients who would ultimately occupy the property under discussion and that we would hold their hand through each and every stage of the process, conceptually these being:
- Assist in finding the vacant office workspace required if not already arranged
- Help identify the right type and use of space for the client through workshops and analysis of headcount, growth expectations of the business and cultural front and back of house working patterns and preferences
- Provide test fit indicative space plans that support the findings of the stakeholder and client team ‘wish list’ input
- Help produce the overall cost model and try to define the A,B and C grade finishes and budgetary consequences of each option to the business both internally and externally
- Produce the project and timeline plan
- Contract on an open book basis to deliver the agreed plan for the fit out of the office/workspace within the agreed financial and time constraints agreed
- Work with our own team of specialist engineers to specify the M&E requirements for the building against industry or set performance standards (heating, cooling, security systems and acoustics)
- Engage all of the other general building trades and manage the project as the principal contractor
- Specify, procure and install all agreed new furniture to budget
- Assist with the move management into the new office/workspace
- Provide ongoing technical maintenance and cleaning services etc as are required by the client team post occupation
Our End to End Responsibilities
As broadly articulated in the above section covering our design and build options, our proposition is to hold the clients hand from end to end in the process and as such to avoid issues and arguments as aspects of the project perhaps in a conventional project get passed around with blame between different parties, installers, manufacturers or indeed designers.
Discuss outline brief complete test fit layout plans for possible sites based on outline brief to validate new site opportunities.
Audits of furniture, interviews & initial workshops. Complete any desk or meeting room utilisation studies.
Complete interviews and conduct analysis of spaceuse and review findings from interviews and audits. Present findings to project team. Prepare block layout designs.
Develop conceptual design layout ideas, visualise in 2d and 3d. Present to Project Team. Receive feedback and refine designs. Sign off specifications and final GA design solution. Provide initial consultation with Building Control to verify design.
Working drawings and specifications developed ready for construction. Introduce Building Control & M&E consultants. By Client / PM; Landlord agreements & negotiations represented. Initial costs reviewed from QS or preferred contractor.
Provide support during site works to answer queries. Generate As Built Drawing Changes. Attendance at site meetings.